Wednesday, February 12, 2014


A recent news bulletin recently hit the airways in a big way. Michael Sam, a great defensive end from the University of Missouri came out and publically declared he is gay. I was watching ESPN and could not believe how much they blew up the story and made it national news. I realize that it is important that there are gay athletes in sports, but let’s do them a favor and treat them as human beings. It is their choice if they are interested in other men or women. I think that as long as they go and do their job that people should not single them out based on their sexuality rather than their actions on and off the playing surface. It also came to my attention that gay athletes have received much more attention than other big athletes such as Tim Tebow who claims to be a Christian and is involved with great operations. I understand that other players may soon come out publically if they want too and declare they are gay or lesbian. As a fan they should not care about that and focus more on the quality of the person and if he puts effort into being the best athlete and person that Michael Sam can be. His parents and friends and teammates are supporting him and that is what matters. In today’s social media world no secret is safe. I hope that people will look at Michael Sam, the great football player and person and see what he really is on the inside and out not just that he is gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment